Best Top Ten Perennials for Size
We have grouped our best perennials into sizes. The sizes we
have chosen are only indications. Soil, and cultural conditions
will be an important factor in determining the ultimate size.
The reason we have decided on size categories is simply because the
questions most asked about plants at garden centres are based upon 'how
big will it grow'?
Perennials are a hugely important group of garden plants and
can be used in containers, with shrubs or in a dedicated
perennial - herbaceous - border or bed.
There are perennials available for most garden positions or
situations. This list should give you a starting point if you are new to
perennials - or simply give you a reminder if experienced.
They are becoming more popular as garden centres see the
benefits of being able to sell small plants in flower at almost
any time of the year!
The best Small Perennials - up to 30-45 cm height
- Geraniums - not the hanging basket types - which are
pelargoniums - the real Geraniums which are hardy herbaceous plants.
- Hosta - Hostas are invaluable as ground cover for
'difficult' areas, but are also beautiful plants in their own right.
- Oenothera - A group of plants under the Evening Primrose
category. There are several types - including the Evening Primrose
from which the oil is distilled. These will always be in the top 10
of any perennials list
- Brunnera macrophylla
- loves shade and has bright blue flowers - with variegated foliage
if you want!
- Helleborus orientalis
- Dicentra - Not just the Bleeding Heart, but also the low growing
types with fine foliage. Always one of the best selections.
- Ajuga reptans -
Bugle for a great
groundcover plant. Really hogs - or hugs - the ground!
- Sedum spectabilis are stunning for late summer. Certainly ones
for the best of the top 10 list.
Medium Perennials The best selection - from 45 - 75cm height
- Gaura lindermanii
major - well suited to a wide range of
- Penstemon - Wide
range of colours on this semi-evergreen perennial. Very showy and
- The ever popular - and ever-flowering Daylily
- Papaver orientalis - A wide range of varieties - and a favourite
perennial or biennial.
- Rudbeckia - A varied
group of perennials that will always be found in top favourites or
top 10 lists.
- Aster frikartii Monch
- Symphytum x uplandicum Variegatum
Tricyrtis formosanum - Very
unusual flowers and a good late summer addition to the border.
- Very Showy tall flowering summer perennial
Top Ten + Tall Perennials - Over 75cm height
- Verbena bonariensis
- Actaea simplex
characias. Should always find space for one of this varied range
of perennials. Year round interest on some varieties make this a
cert for a top ten perennials list.
- Rudbeckia Always a favourite for late summer colour
See also Biennials